Half Way House

Demolished
Also known as: Halfway House, Hornburg Automobile Headquarters
Half Way House in Brookfield, Wisconsin

Photos 

Half Way House, Brookfield, Wisconsin

The Half Way House - located the north/east corner of Bluemound & Pilgrim Rd in front of Watertown Plank Rd. (now a Walgreens). In addition to originally being an inn this place also functioned as a saloon and may at one time also been a brothel. Settlers at the time were required, by law, to feed and house any traveler who requested it. Otherwise, they would risk a fee. In 1839, Absalom Gregg and his son Hedrick, moved into an old log house that had been a stopping place halfway between Milwaukee and Prairieville(now Waukesha), WI. The building was destroyed in 1865, and reconstruction began. By 1892, a two story building was left in this spot. In the early 1900s, the building housed an automotive shop. By 1974, an 100 year old ornate bar was set up, and a major addition was built around it, creating the tavern and restaurant. It served meals until 1990, when it closed after a change of owners. An auction on April 29, 1991 emptied the building, and the building was destroyed in order to make room to build the current Walgreens. at 15350 W. Bluemound Rd .

Map 

Description 

The Half Way House - left on the north/east corner of Bluemound & Pilgrim Rd in front of Watertown Plank Rd. (now a Walgreens).

In 1839, Absalom Gregg and his son Hedrick, moved into an old log house that had been a stopping place halfway between Milwaukee and Prairieville(now Waukesha), WI. The building was destroyed in 1865, and reconstruction began. By 1892, a two story building was left in this spot.

In addition to originally being an inn this place also functioned as a saloon and may at one time also been a brothel. Settlers at the time were required, by law, to feed and house any traveler who requested it. Otherwise, they would risk a fee.

In the early 1900s, the building housed an automotive shop. By 1974, an 100 year old ornate bar was set up, and a major addition was built around it, creating the tavern and restaurant. It served meals until 1990, when it closed after a change of owners.

An auction on April 29, 1991 emptied the building, and the building was destroyed in order to make room to build the current Walgreens. at 15350 W. Bluemound Rd .

Update Log 

  • July 3, 2019: New photo from nxtkitt
  • July 3, 2019: New photos from nxtkitt
  • July 3, 2019: Added by nxtkitt

Related landmarks 

Sources 

  • nxtkitt