Tivoli Beer Hall

17 East Main Street, Bozeman, MT

Map 

Description 

"Railroad anticipation sparked a frenzied building boom prompting a shortage of brick that postponed completion of this popular watering hole for nearly two years. Begun in 1880, Phil Skeehanís Tivoli Beer Hall finally opened in 1882. William Beall was both designer and contractor. The Italianate style building originally featured four arched entries and an upstairs porch spanning the front. In the finely appointed second-floor lodgings, quiet was the only amenity lacking, since downstairs a main attraction was the music. Patrons turned around the spacious dance floor and revived at tables gaily decked with red-and-white gingham cloths. By 1910, John Fechter, who once played oboe in John Philip Sousaís nationally renowned band, managed the Tivoli. As director of Bozemanís German Band and the first conductor of the Bozeman Symphony, Fechter maintained the saloonís "dance hall" tradition well into the 1920s. In August of 1960, Hartman-Mockel Menswear was established on the main floor. Bob Paynich and Bob Braaksma owned the successful enterprise by 1983." - NRHP/Montana Historical Society plaque

Update Log 

  • November 24, 2021: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Mapped landmark
  • July 18, 2019: Added by Richard Doody

Sources