103 W. Third Street, Sheffield, AL 35660
The last extant silent film era theater in the shoals area
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in March 2020
+34.76062, -87.6993434°45'38" N, 87°41'58" W
The Ritz Theatre opened as a silent film theater and a live performance venue. It had a seating capacity of 682 seats including 408 on the main floor and 274 in two segregated balconies. The theatre was equipped with a Wurlitzer organ but the theater was updated for sound films in 1933. The Art Deco fašade was also added in 1933.
It closed in 1951.
In 1983, the theater was acquired by the Tennessee Valley Arts Association. It underwent restoration and was converted to live performance venue. The Ritz reopened in 1985 with a performance of the musical Anything Goes. In 2009, The fašade was restored including a replica of the 1930's marquee.
- March 30, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
- March 30, 2020: Added by J.R. Manning