A commercial core of 23 buildings dating from 1827 to 1915
2 to 28 Market Street & 19 to 45 Market Street; 2 to 10 Main Street & 21 to 39 Main Street
"The Attica Market & Main Street Historic District consists of twenty three contributing buildings and one non-contributing building, encompassing approximately three acres in the west end of Attica, a small village located in Wyoming County, New York. Attica straddles the banks of the Tonawanda Creek in a rural region known as the Wyoming Hills, between Rochester and Buffalo, New York. Market Street (State Route 98) runs parallel to the Tonawanda Creek and is also the main road from Batavia to the north, which was historically the main settlement in this section of Western New York and the headquarters of the Holland Land Purchase, the land agents for settlement in the area in the early nineteenth century. The Market Street section of the district contains the earliest extant buildings reflecting the importance of the road as a thoroughfare. Main Street connects to the south end of Market Street in the village where it continues east, also reflecting the road system and the connection to outlying settlements established by the Holland Land Purchase. The Main Street portion of the historic district is confined to roughly a quarter of a mile from the intersection of Market. Beyond this, the street becomes largely residential or contains mid to late twentieth century businesses. Market & Main Streets comprises the largest surviving portion of the retail and professional core of the downtown, which developed based on Attica’s nineteenth century mill- and rail-based wealth, originally centered on Tonawanda Creek. One other district, the Exchange Street historic District, is located several blocks southeast and encompasses Attica’s railroad related resources.
"Directly to the north of the district are non-historic commercial buildings and parking lots, while to the east are mid to late twentieth century commercial and civic buildings, including churches, banks and the post office. Although several of the buildings have had alterations dating from after the period of significance, the original fabric of Attica’s development is still evident and has integrity in terms of feeling, association, setting and design. Throughout the district, many original storefronts remain and the upper stories are consistently intact.
"Attica’s commercial core was largely affected by several fires, the most devastating being in 1847 and 1873. The original street wall within the district is entirely intact, excepting those structures which burned in 1985 and were replaced with the Village Parking and Picnic Area. Most of the structures on the east side of Market Street were built after the Great Fire of 1847. The Great Mill fire of 1926 destroyed the Second Empire Mansard roof on the Loomis Block on Main Street, but left the rest of the large building block relatively intact. Another large building block, the Doty Block, on the north side of main, was completely destroyed in the 1873 fire, and three buildings were afterwards built on the site (Ballsmith, Thompson and Young Buildings)."
Quotation from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by Nicole Martin, AIA, Project Associate & Rick Hauser, AIA, Partner, of In. Site; Architecture, December 2012. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."
Added to the NRHP May 1, 2013