Exchange Street Historic District
Exchange Street, Attica, NY
Two block commercial area in Attica reflecting the importance of the railroad to Attica
16 Exchange Street, Williams Opera House
"Built in 1879, the opera house was established by Charles F. and Elizabeth Williams, the daughter & son-in- law of Michael Dousman, partner to John Jacob Astor. Building later became the Order of the Odd Fellows and then a Men ’ s Club with racquetball courts. Local lore states the building was designed by noted Rochester architect Andrew J. Warner, but documentation has yet to be discovered to verify this claim."
Photo taken by J.R. Manning in November 2020
+42.86288, -78.2804842°51'46" N, 78°16'50" W
"The Exchange Street Historic District consists of a two-block area in the southeast end of the village of in Attica. The village is located in Wyoming County, which straddles the banks of the Tonawanda Creek in a rural area known as the Wyoming Hills, in western New York between the cities of Rochester and Buffalo. Exchange Street runs parallel to Tonawanda Creek and the historic district terminates just past the railroad tracks on the south end.
"Directly to the west of the district is a residential section and a public park, while to the northwest is Main Street and Attica’s commercial and civic buildings, churches, banks and the post office.
"The Exchange Street Historic District is a compact service and commercial core that encompasses approximately 3.92 acres and includes fourteen buildings on both sides of Exchange Street. Twelve of these buildings are contributing due to age, function and association with the history of transportation in Attica. Several were built in the late nineteenth century after a devastating fire in 1877. Two buildings in the district are noncontributing due to extensive alterations, resulting in a severe loss of integrity especially in terms of feeling and association."
Quotation and Captions from the National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form prepared by Nicole Martin, AIA, Project Associate & Rick Hauser, AIA, LEED AP, Partner, of In. Site: Architecture, June 2012. A link to the document is listed below under "Sources."
The district was added to the NRHP November 21, 2012.
- December 28, 2020: New photo from J.R. Manning
- December 28, 2020: New photos from J.R. Manning
- December 28, 2020: Added by J.R. Manning