Tahawus

Also known as: Adirondak
NY-25 Upper Works Road

Ghost town and related MacIntyre mine and blast furnace

Photos 

NY BF 05 15

MacNaughton Cottage, Adirondack Street

Photo taken by Chester Gehman in June 1986

Enlarge

Map 

Description 

The town, which grew up around the mine and furnace in the early 1830s, was first named McIntyre and later Adirondac. The McIntyre Blast Furnace (still extant) was erected in 1854 by the Adirondack Iron and Steel Company, but was out of blast by 1857 due to the poor quality of iron ore. The mine reopened in 1940 for titanium dioxide, and these operations ceased in 1989. Restoration work on the furnace was underway in 2007.

Update Log 

  • July 15, 2021: New photos from Chester Gehman
  • July 15, 2021: Added by Chester Gehman

Sources