Petersburg Distillery/ Lewis Loder
Front St. in Riverview Park, Petersburg, KY
Photo taken by Bill Eichelberger in June 2022
+39.07053, -84.8675839°04'14" N, 84°52'03" W
"Est. in 1817 as Petersburg Steam Mill Co. at the south end of town. In 1833 William Snyder bought the mill; 3 years later he was distilling whiskey. By 1861, he had lost the business. In 1869, it was sold to Freiburg & Workum and it became the largest distillery in Ky. Closed & dismantled by 1919, the bricks were used in many buildings in town.
(Reverse) Lewis Loder (1819-1905)- Born in Pennsylvania, he moved to Petersburg in 1858 and lived in a c. 1840 house at Tanner & Front Sts. He served as justice of the peace and operated a tavern in his home for many years. Loder was hired as clerk & bookkeeper at the Petersburg Distillery, 1865. His diaries recorded distillery business as well as daily life in Boone Co. from 1857-1904."
- June 20, 2022: New photos from Bill Eichelberger
- June 20, 2022: Added by Bill Eichelberger